Position: Predoctoral Research Associate (fluency in Spanish and English required)
Sponsoring Researchers: Achyuta Adhvaryu, Anant Nyshadham
Employer: Ross School of Business, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA (Department: Business Economics and Public Policy)
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Field of Research: Development Economics, Labor Economics, Applied Artificial Intelligence
Project Description: Multiple small scale pilots and large scale randomized controlled trials in the USA and parts of Latin America aim to ascertain if AI-assisted algorithmic matching to local vacancies (i.e., reduced search cost and/or better informed direction) widen the scope of job search across sectors and intensify search activity of recently displaced entry-level service workers during the recovery from the Covid-19 crisis.
We are hiring a Pre-Doctoral Fellow to work closely with Professors Adhvaryu and Nyshadham, and the team of researchers at Good Business Lab in all stages of the research process.
- Spanish and English language proficiency is required
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in economics or related field; currently working towards a master’s/doctoral degree in economics or related social sciences field
- Previous research experience or professional experience assisting with administrative tasks is preferred, but not required
- Programming experience in statistical software (Stata, Python, R or Matlab)
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials is preferred
- Previous experience working on grants and IRB applications is preferred
- We are looking for someone who: has excellent organizational skills; can communicate effectively; is detail-oriented; is able to review and prioritize work independently and effectively; is able to be resourceful and creative in problem-solving
As a fellow, you will:
- Identify study participants and enroll them in the study
- Assist PIs with all study activities involving participant interaction, including distributing follow-up surveys, survey reminders or processing study payments.
- Curate novel datasets (database management)
- Use cutting edge statistical techniques and machine learning approaches to conduct sophisticated empirical analyses that have the potential to transform our understanding of economic well-being, matching of job seeker’s skills to vacancies and highly vulnerable populations
- Draft research reports. Prepare materials for presentations, policy memos and manuscripts. Generate required figures and tables.
- Perform literature reviews
- Assist in the writing of grant proposals
- Support in IRB applications
Competencies and Skills
- Strong interest in understanding poverty and issues affecting vulnerable populations
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Be detail-oriented with programming in statistical software
- Ability to review and prioritize work independently and effectively
- Ability to be resourceful and creative in problem-solving
- Have a long-term interest in pursuing research in economics
The position is located at the University of Michigan. Salary is competitive with other research assistant positions and will depend on the applicant’s skill set.
Please include a Cover Letter in PDF format that describes:
- Your interest in this position and how you learned about it
- The start and end dates during which you would be available to fill this position (strong preference will be given to applicants who have potential to work for two years)
- Your familiarity with programming in Stata and Python
- Your prior experience with randomized controlled trials, machine learning and your proclivity to learn more about it
- Your prior experience as a research assistant and/or with independent research projects (e.g. a thesis or other research project)
- A previous experience that involved working in a team environment
- Eligibility to work in the United States
- Names, e-mail addresses, and phone numbers of 2-3 references (letters not required)