About The Company
Good Business Lab (www.goodbusinesslab.org) is an independent, non-profit labor innovation lab that uses rigorous research methods to design, develop, and test scalable, market-ready interventions capable of providing dual benefits to workers and businesses.
The founders of the lab are Ach Adhvaryu - Assistant Professor of Business Economics and Public Policy at the University of Michigan (www.ach adhvaryu.com), Anant Ahuja-head of Organization Development at Shahi Exports Pvt. Ltd., and Anant Nyshadham- Assistant Professor of Economics at the University of Michigan (www.anantnyshadham.com).
We have been incubated at Shahi Exports, India's biggest apparel export house, where we have conducted several studies in their sixty-plus factories in the past six years. Some of our other partners include the Harvard Business School, University of Pennsylvania, the United Nations Development Program, and Humanity United.
GBL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.
We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We offer traditional monetary workplace benefits such as insurance and travel allowance. We also offer several other non-monetary workplace benefits like flexible work hours, the ability to work remotely, and no rigid limit on annual paid leave. We are a young and growing start-up making us the ideal ground for team members to experiment, take on dynamic roles, and grow with us. We focus on happiness, output, and quality of work.
Location: Bengaluru, India
Length of Commitment: at least 1 year
Remuneration: 5-7 lacs p.a. (This is a junior mid-level position and can vary depending on experience and qualifications)
Start Date: ASAP (applications being accepted on a rolling basis)
The Field Associate will work closely with academic researchers, the research implementation team, the data manager and other field staff to help implement various projects. They will also be responsible for hiring and managing the new team members.
Key responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Conducting and coordinating field surveys and making regular field visits (can be to rural areas) to ensure that survey is being conducted properly
- Coordinating with the Organizational Development (OD) team at Shahi, visiting shahi units to explain the research design and align the workflow in the factories.
- Maintain and track field reports/project log in google documents and spreadsheets.
- Hire, onboard and train FA’s.
- Managing and monitoring FA and Snr FA’s weekly workloads.
- To draft and develop materials and field protocols.
- Manage and schedule training along with the trainers/field assistants and RA’s.
- Maintaining relations with survey partners and other additional duties as and when needed.
- Bachelor's/Master’s in Economics, Social Work or any related field
- Ability to work in a team, manage multiple projects on the ground, review and prioritize work independently and be self-motivated.
- Ability to successfully complete assigned tasks and meet deadlines while maintaining high-quality work.
- Ability to work long hours and should be open for travelling (in and around Bangalore)
- Be detail-oriented with good oral and written communication skills
- Ability to be resourceful and creative in problem-solving
- Basic experience in Microsoft Word and MS Excel.
- Ability to converse in Kannada/Hindi/Odia.
What should you be comfortable with?
- Working in a team with shared responsibilities.
- A dynamic environment with competing priorities.
- Independently coordinating with coworkers to accomplish goals.
- Being resourceful in new environments and scenarios.
- Problem-solving in high-pressure environments.
Perks of working with us
There are plenty of benefits at GBL, here are some examples:
- Flexible leave policy: Time away from work can be extremely helpful for maintaining a healthy work/life balance. GBL encourages managers and leadership to set the example by taking time off when needed and ensuring their team members do the same. We don't have a strict limit on paid leaves, only suggested ( extremely liberal) averages.
- Flexible working hours: We recognize that a better work-life balance can improve employee motivation, performance, productivity, and reduce stress. The basis of our norms pertaining to this is a system of trust in each other and our common goals.
- Training and Development: GBL team members can set aside 10% of their work time / around 4 hours a week to improve their skills/knowledge on a subject that they think will help them perform their job better. We encourage all employees to focus both on technical and soft skills. We also facilitate employee mentorship programs.
- GBL Care Systems: As an organization, we are committed to ensuring the wellbeing of our team members and creating a thriving work environment- because that gives us, together, the best chance at achieving our shared mission and sparking joy at work. We do this by partnering with organizations such The Mindclan, Therapize among others for workshops and other wellbeing related initiatives.
- Growth-oriented review policy: To foster collaboration, we have adopted regular reviews and check-ins among team members. We see a manager's role beyond what is expected from them by conventional management thinkers. Apart from delivering high-quality work, managers are responsible for the holistic development of their team members. This can be achieved through practices inspired by coaching philosophy.
Recent projects and blog posts
To acclimatize yourself with some of our work, you can read our blog posts on Medium, and also go through our LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
We are glad you’re interested in applying for this role!
After each step, we decide whether to invite you to the next one. The entire process may be a bit delayed due to COVID, given this context - it could take 4-6 weeks.
Our interview process for this role has the following steps:
- CV and cover letter screening
- Introductory Round Interview
- Language and Communication Round
- Take-home assignment
- Fit Interview
- Interview with the founder(s) /Chief of Staff
Referred by (Name)
In this optional field, please input the name of a current or past GBL employee who is willing to refer you for this role. This means they think you're a good fit, vouch for your performance/academic credentials, and suggest your name. You need to get the consent of the employee before inputting their name. Please note that this is not an exclusionary criteria and this column is not mandatory. The goal is to formalize the process of our employees referring someone in their social network.