Good Business Lab is an independent, non-profit labor innovation company. We use rigorous academic research to prove that worker wellbeing programs have business impacts. We develop market-ready, scalable interventions capable of providing dual benefits to workers and businesses. Our goal is to disrupt the traditional notion of business and show that worker wellbeing can be a part of core business strategy, or in other words, a good business practice.
The founders of the lab are Ach Adhvaryu - assistant professor of business economics and public policy at the University of Michigan (www.achadhvaryu.com/), Anant Ahuja – head of Organization Development at Shahi Exports Pvt. Ltd. and Anant Nyshadham – also an assistant professor of business economics and public policy at the University of Michigan (www.anantnyshadham.com/).
We've been incubated at Shahi Exports - India's biggest apparel export house, and have conducted several studies in their sixty-plus factories in the past six years. In one study we found that the net return to the firm from training women workers in life skills (such as financial literacy, communication, and problem-solving) is 250%, 8 months after program completion. This program, called P.A.C.E. (Personal Advancement and Career Enhancement), co-created by Gap Inc., Shahi, ICRW, and Swasthi has been scaled at a global level to reach over 45,000 female garment workers in 12 countries. Some of our other partners include the Harvard Business School, University of Pennsylvania, and Humanity United.
Going forward, projects include looking at the migration experience and mental health of workers and how this is affected by pairing them with experienced workers from their region (through a novel ‘buddy system’), unlocking female labor through rural training centers, and how an effective grievance redressal system for workers affects their job outcomes.
The Marketing & Communications Manager will play a leading role in supervising internal and external communications across Good Business Lab (GBL) operations in India, USA, and Latin America. With a small and growing team, this role offers an opportunity to influence operational improvements, adoption of innovative practices, and identification of growth opportunities. The Marketing & Communications team sits centrally within the GBL architecture, enabling regular collaboration and interaction with colleagues across different departments and geographies.
Branding & Reputation
- Ensure consistency of branding across internal and external facing GBL assets.
- Manage reputational risks and co-ordinate resolutions in cases of misrepresentation.
- Drive strategic conversations on brand strategy and alignment to GBL ambitions.
- Oversee GBL content creation, social media activity and online relationship management.
- Lead the development of the GBL thought leadership platform, GBL Access.
- Manage the GBL website, including maintenance, improvements, and innovation.
Data & Reporting
- Supervise data analysis and reporting of media activities and KPIs.
- Disseminate progress and performance insights for senior management.
- Design and implement media strategies based on performance insights and industry trends.
- Represent the communications team in relationships with GBL external project partners.
- Engage with GBL project teams to proactively monitor communication risks.
- Grow coverage of GBL by pursuing collaboration opportunities with media / industry outlets.
Team Management, Planning, and Development
- Work closely with the team to establish annual objectives, key results, and priorities.
- Support the development of project plans, resource requirements, and status reports.
- Mentor and train team members on communications best practices.
Skills and Experience
- Demonstrated success of building and managing a communications team.
- Expert proficiency in English.
- Strong writing and copy editing abilities.
- Proven ability to manage and deliver multiple end-to-end projects simultaneously
- Sector experience in Development, Economics, or Research.
- Degree and/or 5+ years experience.
- Working proficiency in Hindi and/or Spanish.
- Highly competent with Microsoft Office and Google Suite.
Who we are looking for:
- Have strong negotiation skills with diverse, global, and multi-functional stakeholders.
- High attention to detail with ability to self-critique and provide constructive feedback.
- Ability to understand the big picture but also comfortable with managing operational details.
- Confident with their experience but has the humility to learn from others.
Duration of Work: 6 month contract with an option to convert to a permanent position based on performance
Location - Remote (anywhere in India)
Remuneration - 12-15 lacs p.a
Start Date - March 2022 (earliest)
What should you be comfortable with?
- A dynamic environment with competing priorities.
- Working in a team with shared responsibilities.
- Independently coordinating with coworkers to accomplish goals.
- Being resourceful in new environments and scenarios.
- Problem-solving in high-pressure environments.
Perks of working with us
There are plenty of benefits at GBL, here are some examples:
- Flexible leave policy: Time away from work can be extremely helpful for maintaining a healthy work/life balance. GBL encourages managers and leadership to set the example by taking time off when needed and ensuring their team members do the same. We don't have a strict limit on paid leaves, only suggested ( extremely liberal) averages.
- Flexible working hours: We recognize that a better work-life balance can improve employee motivation, performance, productivity, and reduce stress. The basis of our norms pertaining to this is a system of trust in each other and our common goals.
- Training and Development: GBL team members can set aside 10% of their work time / around 4 hours a week to improve their skills/knowledge on a subject that they think will help them perform their job better. We encourage all employees to focus both on technical and soft skills. We also facilitate employee mentorship programs.
- GBL Care Systems: As an organization, we are committed to ensuring the wellbeing of our team members and creating a thriving work environment- because that gives us, together, the best chance at achieving our shared mission and sparking joy at work. We do this by partnering with organizations such The Mindclan, Therapize among others for workshops and other wellbeing-related initiatives.
- Growth-oriented review policy: To foster collaboration, we have adopted regular reviews and check-ins among team members. We see a manager's role beyond what is expected from them by conventional management thinkers. Apart from delivering high-quality work, managers are responsible for the holistic development of their team members. This can be achieved through practices inspired by coaching philosophy.
- Wellbeing budget: This includes an individual budget for each team member that they can claim reimbursement for things such as therapy, any physical-health related activity and home office setup. Additionally, there's a separate budget for Managers for care packages or any other team activities. There's also a budget for our People Operations team to organize team-wide activities or provide mental health services in collaboration with organizations like Therapize and Mindclan.
- No zoom call Fridays: To avoid zoom call fatigue and get major work done, without any calls as interruptions.
- 4 day work week in the last week of the month: Teams are encouraged to try different work arrangements such as this!
- Informal virtual and in-person hangs and activities!
We are glad you’re interested in applying for this role! Here is an excerpt on the screening process overview which can take upto 6-8 weeks.
- CV and cover letter screening
- Shortlisted candidates will be called for a first round interview.
- Shortlisted candidates from the first round will be required to submit a written exercise which will serve as a qualifier for the Second Round interview.
- Second Round Interview will be held to go over the submitted exercise.
- Selected candidates from the second round will interview with Anant Ahuja, GBL's CEO.
Our commitment to diversity
GBL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We offer traditional monetary workplace benefits such as insurance and travel allowance. We are a young and growing company making us the ideal ground for team members to experiment, take on dynamic roles, and grow with us. We focus on happiness, output, and quality of work.
Referred by (Name)
In this optional field, please input the name of a current or past GBL employee who is willing to refer you for this role. This means they think you're a good fit, vouch for your performance/academic credentials, and suggest your name. You need to get the consent of the employee before inputting their name.