Good Business Lab is an independent, non-profit labor innovation company. We use rigorous academic research to prove that worker wellbeing programs have business impacts. We develop market-ready, scalable products capable of providing dual benefits to workers and businesses. Our goal is to disrupt the traditional notion of business and show that worker wellbeing can be a part of core business strategy, or in other words, a good business practice.
The founders of the lab are Ach Adhvaryu - assistant professor of business economics and public policy at the University of Michigan (www.achadhvaryu.com/), Anant Ahuja – head of Organization Development at Shahi Exports Pvt. Ltd. and Anant Nyshadham – also an assistant professor of business economics and public policy at the University of Michigan (www.anantnyshadham.com/).
We've been incubated at Shahi Exports - India's biggest apparel export house, and have conducted several studies in their sixty-plus factories in the past six years. In one study we found that the net return to the firm from training women workers in life skills (such as financial literacy, communication, and problem-solving) is 250%, 8 months after program completion. This program, called P.A.C.E. (Personal Advancement and Career Enhancement), co-created by Gap Inc., Shahi, ICRW, and Swasthi has been scaled at a global level to reach over 45,000 female garment workers in 12 countries. Some of our other partners include the Harvard Business School, University of Pennsylvania, and Humanity United.
Going forward, projects include looking at the migration experience and mental health of workers and how this is affected by pairing them with experienced workers from their region (through a novel ‘buddy system’), unlocking female labor through rural training centers, and how an effective grievance redressal system for workers affects their job outcomes.
The kind of work you might do in the role
1. At GBL each one of us is involved in multiple projects and works efficiently trans-disciplinary collaboration
2. You will be involved in doing research in highly complex ecosystems. We will collaboratively develop sustainable, scalable and replicable interventions. The nature of intervention can be:
3. You will get an opportunity to develop design cases and share them with a global community of development practitioners.
4. Design at GBL is a growing vertical where we are developing design processes & strategies for a group of development practitioners, economists and labor-intensive industries. We would rely on your design knowledge to facilitate this goal.
5. Design experiments to test the impact of design interventions before it goes live in the Randomized Controlled Trial experiment.
6. Create pitches for external design projects
7. Lead internal design capacity building sessions through design sprints & workshops.
Length of Commitment: 12 months
Remuneration: 9-10 lacs p.a.
Start Date: July 2022
What should you be comfortable with?
How to apply?
Please make sure to include in your cover letter: a concise explanation of why you want to be part of the GBL Team, how your skills can support us in this role, and how this position can support you in achieving your career goals.
Perks of working with us:
There are plenty of benefits at GBL, here are some examples:
Recent projects and blog posts:
We are glad you’re interested in applying for this role!
After each step, we decide whether to invite you to the next one. Our interview process for this role has the following steps:
Our commitment to diversity
GBL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We offer traditional monetary workplace benefits such as insurance and travel allowance. We are a young and growing company making us the ideal ground for team members to experiment, take on dynamic roles, and grow with us. We focus on happiness, output, and quality of work.
Your application was submitted successfully.