Good Business Lab is an independent, non-profit labor innovation company. We use rigorous academic research to prove that worker wellbeing programs have business impacts. We develop market-ready, scalable products capable of providing dual benefits to workers and businesses. Our goal is to disrupt the traditional notion of business and show that worker wellbeing can be a part of core business strategy, or in other words, a good business practice.
The founders of the lab are Ach Adhvaryu - assistant professor of business economics and public policy at the University of Michigan (www.achadhvaryu.com/), Anant Ahuja – head of Organization Development at Shahi Exports Pvt. Ltd. and Anant Nyshadham – also an assistant professor of business economics and public policy at the University of Michigan (www.anantnyshadham.com/).
We've been incubated at Shahi Exports - India's biggest apparel export house, and have conducted several studies in their sixty-plus factories in the past six years. In one study we found that the net return to the firm from training women workers in life skills (such as financial literacy, communication, and problem-solving) is 250%, 8 months after program completion. This program, called P.A.C.E. (Personal Advancement and Career Enhancement), co-created by Gap Inc., Shahi, ICRW, and Swasthi has been scaled at a global level to reach over 45,000 female garment workers in 12 countries. Some of our other partners include the Harvard Business School, University of Pennsylvania, and Humanity United.
Length of Commitment: at least one year
Start Date: ASAP (applications being accepted on rolling basis)
Remuneration: 6-10 lacs p.a
What will the Funding Associate do?
- GBL’s Funding Associate will support the entire grant application process, from researching and checking eligibility requirements, to writing, editing and revising text to meet application requirements and submission in required format before deadlines
- Contribute to the preparation and presenting of creative pitches and proposals to secure new funding partnerships
- Collaborate with internal teams to understand funding needs, develop compelling propositions and pitches to engage, excite and secure new funding partners
- Effectively networking to build and maintain relationships with existing and new funding partners
- Contribute to other writing needs of GBL, for example, blogs (Medium), articles for other media outlets (e.g. VoxDev, Harvard Business Review, etc.), concept notes, policy memos, white papers, etc.
- Build knowledge of the organization, processes and current/prospective funders
- Perform other related work as needed
The kind of work you might do in the role:
- Review old funding proposals and applications and rework the information to fit the needs of the current grant application.
- Liaise with Principal Investigators, Research teams and other relevant people to get vital project information; and collate and write this into funding applications
- Create visual supporting documents such as slide decks to complement applications.
- Work with the Partnerships and Marketing teams at GBL to develop processes to align work and further GBL’s mission
- Work with the design and delivery teams to understand funding needs
Who are you?
- Interest in GBL’s vision and mission, belief in GBL’s values
- Good communication skills (written, verbal and interpersonal)
- Understanding of how economic research works/experience of doing economic research
- Self-motivated, detail oriented and organized with demonstrated administrative and coordination skills
- Able to understand and execute complex instructions and problem solve
- Ability to successfully manage multiple tasks with competing deadlines and work independently
- Flexibility to work within different time zones
- Proficiency in computer skills, excellent MS office knowledge
- Work experience within a not-for-profit environment is a plus
- Experience working with an international team is a bonus
- Ability to read and synthesize large amounts of information quickly and communicate this in a compelling and succinct form – both verbally and written
- Demonstrable ability to write clearly, persuasively and succinctly with ease
What should you be comfortable with?
- A dynamic environment with competing priorities.
- Working within a global team with shared responsibilities.
- Independently coordinating with coworkers to accomplish goals.
- Being resourceful in new environments and scenarios.
- Problem-solving in high-pressure environments.
Perks of working with us:
There are plenty of benefits at GBL, here are some examples:
- Flexible leave policy: Time away from work can be extremely helpful for maintaining a healthy work/life balance. GBL encourages managers and leadership to set the example by taking time off when needed and ensuring their team members do the same. We don't have a strict limit on paid leaves, only suggested ( extremely liberal) averages.
- Flexible working hours: We recognize that a better work-life balance can improve employee motivation, performance, productivity, and reduce stress. The basis of our norms pertaining to this is a system of trust in each other and our common goals.
- Training and Development: GBL team members can set aside 10% of their work time / around 4 hours a week to improve their skills/knowledge on a subject that they think will help them perform their job better. There is a separate budget set out for this. We encourage all employees to focus both on technical and soft skills. We also facilitate employee mentorship programs.
- GBL Care Systems: As an organization, we are committed to ensuring the wellbeing of our team members and creating a thriving work environment- because that gives us, together, the best chance at achieving our shared mission and sparking joy at work. We do this by partnering with organizations such The Mindclan, Therapize among others for workshops and other wellbeing-related initiatives.
- Growth-oriented review policy: To foster collaboration, we have adopted regular reviews and check-ins among team members. We see a manager's role beyond what is expected from them by conventional management thinkers. Apart from delivering high-quality work, managers are responsible for the holistic development of their team members. This can be achieved through practices inspired by coaching philosophy.
- Wellbeing budget: This includes an individual budget for each team member that they can claim reimbursement for things such as therapy, any physical-health related activity and home office setup. Additionally, there's a separate budget for Managers for care packages or any other team activities. There's also a budget for our People Operations team to organize team-wide activities or provide mental health services in collaboration with organizations like Therapize and Mindclan.
- Informal virtual and in-person hangs and activities!
Recent projects and blog posts
To acclimatize yourself with some of our work, you can read our blog posts on Medium, and also go through our LinkedIn, Twitter, and Instagram.
We are glad you’re interested in applying for this role! After each step, we decide whether to invite you to the next one. The entire process can take up to 6-8 weeks.
Our interview process for this role has the following steps:
- CV & Cover letter screening
- Take home assignment
- First Round Interview
- Second Round Interview
Our commitment to diversity:
GBL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We offer traditional monetary workplace benefits such as insurance and travel allowance. We are a young and growing company making us the ideal ground for team members to experiment, take on dynamic roles, and grow with us. We focus on happiness, output, and quality of work.